Saturday, April 20, 2013

My heart is aching

Just "celebrated" my 36th birthday on Tuesday. It was for obvious reasons a day of mixed emotions. I used to live outside of Boston, and when I heard of what had happened, first place I turned was the internet/facebook to make sure friends were OK. They are, which I am immensely grateful for.

I want to tell the world something, particularly everyone in America: PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. Now more than ever we need each other. Instead of focusing on the bad and the things that make us afraid, we need to focus on the good. There are many many many good people in the world. America, you need to remember that you are NOT bad. You are filled with love and hope and grace. Remind yourself to think with your heart and not lead with hate. You might think that hate is what is in your heart. It isn't. We all at our core yearn for peace.

Maybe you feel strangled because you can't help. What you don't realize is that you can. Within your own community, model a positive and peaceful outlook as much as you can. Don't surrender to negativity and hate. When we think about the legacy we want to leave for our children, what does it look like? Think of that when the anger and fear start to take over. I am not a religious person, but I am praying for all of us. I am praying for myself to get through each day as best as I can. I am praying for all of my loved ones that they can find peace in their hearts and move forward. I am praying for all of those I don't know, that they may look inside themselves and see goodness.
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
-Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment