Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Times they are a'changin

It's been a long time since I've posted... that's what happens sometimes at this time of year. We get through the holidays then there's a lull in brain activity :)

I've been considering changing careers. Not that I really have a career at the moment per se, but I'd like to have one someday when I grow up. I'm turning 35 in two months, not quite ready for that. I finally feel like I can emotionally handle using my degree (B.A. in Psychology 1999). I was all set to go to graduate school, get my Psy.D. and work with teenagers, but it turned out I wasn't emotionally ready for it. I am like a feeling sponge, I absorb all the negative energy around me. But I think becoming a parent has made me more resilient (after everything I went through during my pregnancy and postpartum); I feel much stronger now than I have in my entire life. Also the Zoloft has helped me quite a bit.

Things that are pissing me off lately:

1. TAXES
It is complete bullshit that we are not eligible for the Earned Income Credit. I know there have to be cut-offs but Jesus H we are barely getting by, a couple thousand or even just one thousand would make a HUGE difference for us. Oh well, no use banging my head against the wall over something I can't control.

2. THIEVING DOWNSTAIRS NEIGHBORS
I haven't talked about it on here but our downstairs neighbors were breaking into our apartment and stealing shit for awhile (we don't even know how long). It's a long sad story that I won't go into detail about. But basically because we have to wait for a conviction, the bastard has been in and out of jail twice because of this, and is still living right downstairs from us. We have to see him out in the parking lot, etc. I understand due process and whatnot, but it SUCKS nonetheless to live right above people you know for a fact were breaking into your home.

3. NEVER ENOUGH MONEY, UNEMPLOYMENT, ETC.
My husband has a seasonal position so has been collecting partial unemployment this winter. He has also kept his part-time job at a store where he fills in when they have call-outs. He makes so little doing that- what is the point for him to even try to find a full-time position when you can make the same amount of money just collecting unemployment?! We have too many bills and we can't afford them all. And there's nothing I can do about it- can't get rid of any of the bills (unless we pay them off... HAHA very funny).

4. MY BEST FRIEND IS MOVING TO ALASKA FOR 3 YEARS
Her husband is in the Coast Guard and just found out he has to report for duty in Alaska in June. SUCKFEST.

5. MY HUSBAND WANTS TO DO CIO AND I DON'T
This one's a toughie. He's supportive of co-sleeping, etc. but sometimes gets sick of hearing me say I'm tired and says well it's your own fault you won't put him in the crib and let him CIO. I just can't do it.

6. THE PRESIDENT OF MY COMPANY NAMED HER SON WITH THE SAME FIRST NAME AS MY SON
This happened at the end of December. When my coworkers told me I thought it was a joke, but they weren't kidding. WTF?!

Oh gosh I was going to make this a positive post but it hasn't turned out that way at all! Sorry :( I'll do better next time, just having a crappy day/week/month.

3 comments:

  1. I hate taxes, too. Just can't even deal right now.

    Holy shit, #2. That sucks big time. So sorry.

    #4 Your bestie is moving? Noooo!

    #6 would also bother the f*ck out of me. I hate baby name thievery. They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But still. And at least you got to give your child the name first so everyone knows it is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: I have decided not to change careers, that I am in fact not ready, not sure I will ever be, to cope with the stress of working with people/families in crisis or who have mental health issues. I just don't think I'd be able to separate myself, maintain a professional distance, not be miserable all the time. On to good news: the thieving neighbors downstairs have been evicted! WOOT! I'll be thrilled if we never have to see them again, but we may have to testify in court. No biggie. Also, I got rid of a bill! We have a couch and loveseat we got through Rent-A-Center (I know, bad, but we had no other options if we wanted to have living room furniture) and I was making weekly payments on that- I used our federal tax return money to pay the balance off, so we officially own our overpriced LR set! Hooray!

    We're going to try modified CIO this weekend... I think we're waking each other up (my son and I) and I think it's in his best interest to learn to sleep in his own bed in his own room. ALSO more than that is the sleep deprivation/broken sleep I've been dealing with for almost 2 years now (in July). I guess you could say cosleeping is no longer working for us. So we'll see how it goes. I am definitely willing to hear advice, comments. Thanks for reading!!!!

    ReplyDelete