Thursday, July 28, 2011

Baby Astrology

Ok I've been tossing around several ideas lately.

1. I want to become a doula. After I had my son I thought I'd never want to be a midwife or an OB/GYN or anything like that because it would be so stressful and scary. BUT now I find myself really drawn to pregnant women and babies, and I want to help. I want to use my experiences to help other people.

2. I want to create a website/blog/book about baby astrology. I really think that it would help people parent more effectively if they understood the basic temperaments of their children. When I read other blogs by mothers/fathers I like to look for trends in sleep habits, etc. based on birth sign! If anyone is reading this blog... please comment and let me know what you think about this.

3. I want to write about my experiences with Pemphigoid Gestationis during my pregnancy in the hopes of helping other women who develop it. PG is a god-awful auto-immune disorder that causes EXTREMELY itchy lesions (sometimes blisters), which can lead to low birth weight for age, preterm labor, and very rarely fetal death. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestational_pemphigoid : "The cause of PG is not known, although many researchers believe that the antibodies that protect the placenta become confused and begin to increase in number. These antibodies are directed at the skin and attack the protein that binds the outer layer of skin to the body. This action causes the skin to lift up, creating blisters." I thankfully was able to treat my PG with prednisone for the last few months of my pregnancy which resolved it, and it hasn't come back (thank goodness). But it was AWFUL. I know it sounds not so bad when someone says something itches but it was like a nightmare. That on top of my herniated disc... but that's a whole 'nother post for 'nother day.

No comments:

Post a Comment